Saturday, December 10, 2011

Happy Birthday, Grandma. December 9: Winter Child.

Happy Birthday, Miss Earlene Hall. Yesterday, you turned 66 years old, and age has not even graced you. I want you to know that you are my world and everything. My rock--our rock. You keep this family together. There's not much I can say without basically writing my whole life's story. You were there for me when she wasn't and couldn't be. Not that I hold that against her or that I put you on a pedestal. I'm sure she understands what you mean to me even though she's trying to make up for lost time, but you practically raised me when she wasn't there, which unfortunately, was more than I would have liked. Even though I was young, and couldn't quite fully comprehend what was going on you made sure that I was safe, and well taken care of just as any grandparent would do. You even played the roles that weren't yours since my father wasn't in the picture, at all.  I thank you, and appreciate SO much for EVERYTHING you have done for me. Even when you were disciplining me. I understood it. You always say to me "Naughty, you are my favourite granddaughter" and I always reply "Grandma, I'm your ONLY granddaughter" being as I'm the only girl of my mothers 3 children. But, it always makes me laugh, and one day I know I'll have to face a time when you won't be there anymore. I pray that day may never come, but I know we're only human. It hurts to think about it so, I enjoy every day I have with you. I love you, grandma. I hope you live well enough to see us all do great things with our lives. But, since I'm the youngest I'm going to be selfish, and say I hope you live long enough to see ME do great things with my life. Judging by your health I'll say you'll probably out live me. Maybe Alex and I will give you grandchildren someday... Maybe. Ha ha. Although I've failed at life before--I swear I'll make it up to you and me. Or I'll die trying...  I love you, grandma.

And, to my mother who always feels left out--as many ups and downs as we have I appreciate you just as well. Though the story is a lot different we're still building on our relationship. We've come a long way. With this it takes time. So be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment